Tuesday, November 29, 2005

[2005 11 29] - [Tue]

Morning
Woke up on time today. Had Bee Hoon for breakfast. It’s been more than a week since I had it for breakfast. Mummy fetched me to work. Went Fitness First to bathe. But did not exercise as I need to be at the MLG workshop by 9 am.
Peter Chong
Bumped into him at Fitness First. He’s also a member. He signed up at Capital Tower. In BD now. He will sometimes pop by for some exercise.
MLG Workshop
It’s one of the worst workshops I’ve been too. The material comes a lot from the IT Team Building. It’s basically all talk and bullshit with no concrete action. Of course we revisited those points AGAIN from team-building. I only know TY is the facilitator. Wasn’t even paying attention at all.
Telugu
Learnt some new words in Telugu from Dharmesh. ‘I am hungry’ means Naku akali vastundi. Literally means ‘I hungry feel’.
Lunch
Bought Vegetarian Bee Hoon for lunch. WITHOUT curry. As I promised to be on healthy diet. At least until tonight’s Graduation dinner.
MLG Workshop (afternoon)
We were told to identify statements in which we feel we can influence and then plot them onto some graph. With percentages to corelate them. I can say that I’m already prejudiced against such workshops. Days like today simply cement my prejudices.
Real Team-Building
It only happened at Phuket in Oct 2002 and at Sebana Cove in Nov 2003. There was more action then. We performed tasks together. There was actual bonding. Not like those crap seminars that People Element dished out. Do you really call a powerpoint presentation team-building? Whether we were told to give our inputs or not is secondary. A man standing in front with a powerpoint presentation is still a man standing in front with a powerpoint presentation. Whether you call him a facilitator or not. Brain-storming is only effective when those involved in the brain-storming session has the power to implement ANY solution suggested. Of course the brainstorming should ideally be done by the stake-holders. NOT the subordinates of the stake-holders. A useful brain-storming session was actually the off-site meeting we had at the Book Café with Siu Ming & Stephen. That time it was effective because we were the stake holders and we were empowered to implement our own solutions without bureaucracy.
StaffNet PoC SSO
This time it gave problems. I got a call from Granny asking if I’m going home for dinner. Then Stephen messaged about StaffNet PoC SSO being down. It gave me the perfect excuse to run away and back to my desk. Somehow the SSO again worked after doing an opmnctl restart.
OID/AACM deployment tonight.
JX says it’s important. Basically everything has to be up by morning. But I think even if it doesn’t work, there will be workarounds.
Bathing @ Fitness First
Went FF to bathe. Going to Mandarin Hotel later.
Going to Mandarin Hotel
Mummy fetched me there. On the way there, she said the usual stuff about the summon.
Grad - Initial thoughts
It's the first time in my life that I'm surrounded by so many young girls. I think there are 400 of them. Not to mention the mostly mothers parents contingent. Of course there were the Sisters & the old girls. The only males were the teachers and relatives.
My Table
It consisted of 1 father, me & 8 mothers! I felt quite miserable there. I could make small talk with them yes. But I couldn't possible last for one whole night right.
Change of table
There were 2 empty seats at Mummy's VIP table. So I managed to get a seat there. I sat between Sister Therasa and Sister Edward. I felt more comfortable talking to them. There was this parent from China who commented how good-looking I was and how I resembled some compere from China. He had better be REALLY good-looking. Took quite a few photos around.
Diana Ser
She's the guest-of-honour today. In the opening speech, she mentioned that she graduated in 1988. There was some momentary silence as everyone tried to paint a mental picture of how old she is. I took a photo with her. Then Mei & her other friends took with her. She exudes some kind of confidence when she’s around you. She speaks very well too. Maybe it’s from the training in front of the cameras.
Food
Food was not bad at all. I even ate 2 big prawns.
Programme
There was prize giving for different awards. It was followed by a speech from various people. I took a video of the singings.
Family Dance
Quite impressed by it. It is a cheoreographed dance where every Sec 4 girl knows. The song, from what I can make out, is actually a medley of a Chinese Song, a Malay Song, a Tamil Song and an English song.
Complimentary Parking
Had to put in the card several times before the machine could recognise it.
Going Home
Fetched Mrs Cheong home before going home.
Grad - Reflections
All the girls certainly look very nice. They looked much older than 16 definitely. Although St Nicks have never played a part in any of my education, I've been involved in quite a number of activities due to Mummy being an old-girl. I can say that it is one of the better schools around that has it's own unique culture. It is one where the staff SINCERELY cares about it's students. Mummy spoke briefly to Mei's form teacher (Mdm Lily Tan). She said that Mei did a good job as a class treasurer. I've always believed in the abilities of my sister. In fact I trust her more than any other person.
My own sec school friends
As I looked around, I thought about my own Secondary School friends. Ling & I have all but stopped constant contact with our Sec Sch friends. Ling's closest friends are from NUS while my closest friends come from NUS.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home