[2005 11 18] - [Fri]
Breakfast
Woke up at 7:50 am. Shared table with Nam Choon, Lum & Quincy. Didn’t talk to them as I was engrossed in my Straits Times. Spain, Switzerland & Czech Republic made it to the World Cup. Enjoyed the scrambled eggs. Later on, Garry and Jeffrey came to sit down. Garry said that his rented room at Cheras is haunted. The bathroom lights seem to come on by itself and there’s long hair when he sweeps the floor. Also, the landlord (a couple) rather stay in the small room (that means sharing bathroom with another tenant (girl) and rented him the Master Bedroom bedroom instead.
Review of IT Missions, Vision & Strategy Map
Everyone agreed to retain the IT Mission Statement. It says ‘We deliver excellent IT Service!’. We reviewed the Strategy Map. Lots of boxes and words. A lot of high-level stuff. ‘Types of Engagement’ = Different ways of earning revenue from customers (Targetting new customers, catering to different stages of a customer’s lifestyle, New Products, New Markets)
Tea Break
Went back to pack up and clear my room. By the time I went back, the noodles are gone.
1st group’s presentation
Nam Choon and Quincy presented on knowledge management. Used a Golf Caddy’s knowledge as an analogy. There was a case study on BAE Systems. They actually had a search function, searching through Intranet websites, shared drives and other resources. I think this approach will work. Just like Google, we’ll have a one-stop place to search for documents within the company. The shared drive search is a plus because in reality, a lot of documents reside in shared drives even though we have StaffNet and Lotus Notes. The recommendation is for GELS to adopt/pilot GELM KM Model/Processes. Things like Community of Practice (CoP), simple repository for documents, reward schemes & targetting small groups were mentioned. No questions asked. Short & sweet. Until Francis asked about looking into transfer from knowledge to actual monetary benefits. And it triggered off a slew of questions and discussions among the mostly Competency Heads and PDs that lasted for another 30 minutes.
Penang Buffet Lunch @ Hotel Coffee House
The best meal of the whole RIT. Worst meal should be the one at KBox Cineleisure. My favourite is the Winter Melon Soup. HR is also having an orientation for new staff. Fridays are ‘dress down’ days at GELM. GELM also has a gym within the office. There’s also a sports culture there. With a chart to track the fitness of some of them. No wonder we get thrashed at inter-office games. We lost every game with the exception of Netball.
Our group’s presentation
Garry did a very good presentation delivery. Clear & articulate. Even though the topic is boring. As expected, it digressed into a discussion between the VPs. It’s good that we had an inconclusive conclusion as there’s too many different schools of thought in the industry regarding IT Expense Ratios.
Final speech
Boon Siong went through the previous action items and the new action items. Boon Kong, Koh Wee and Pooi Hor gave their closing speeches and the whole thing ended at around 2:45 pm. Jeffrey had to return to office coz he needed to attend to something regarding E-Travel. I then took 970 home.
System down
When I reached home, Stephen called me to say that Geni is showing blank records! Murhpy’s Law at work. My prediction is right again. Back on Monday, I predicted that since Tang Seng & I won’t be in office this week, Something will happen. I thought I will eat my words until Stephen called. It’s funny since nobody touched the server and Geni was working. At 2 pm. I repackaged an .ear file and sent it to Stephen.
Country Code ‘49’
Belongs to Germany! Damned. So we called Germany after all. So Som knows German eh? The area code of ‘5’ (we dialled ‘021495495…’ means that we called somewhere in the northern-central part of Germany. I purposely called the number again. The same lady answered.
Lady :
Me : Do you speak English?
Lady : Nicht… (Checked the web. This means either can’t or no.)
Me : Where are you?
Lady :
Me : Sorrie, I dialled the wrong number. Bye Bye.
Dinner
Mummy came back early too. Had dinner of Fried Bee Hoon + Minced Meat with Egg.
Charger
Went down to King’s Hotel to retrieve my charger. I left it in the hotel room. Together with the soap and toothpaste. I was only interested in the charger as I don’t think I’ll get the soap and toothpaste back.
Office
Went Chin Swee Road to wait for 7 pm to come so that I need not pay ERP. Tang Seng was also back in office. I realised that the geni problem resulted from the wrong db.xml file. Damned it came from my laptop too. So it explains why the .ear file that I sent Stephen didn’t work. I’m still puzzled why the Geni instance one 1 of the StaffNet servers didn’t work in the first place before Stephen called me.
Stephen’s house
We drove to Tiong Bahru so that Stephen can packet dinner for his wife and himself. Asked him to packet Carrot Cake for me. On the way, I showed them 63B. Stephen talked about the week. Tang Seng said that his course is useful. Which is good since I would be attending the same course. Avoided the lots next to Stephen’s block as Stephen gave some warning about bird shit. Ate the Carrot Cake at Stephen’s place. Tang Seng also went up. It’s his first visit to Stephen’s house and the first time he saw Rachel. There was this 9pm show on TCS 8. This is about some dancers. I would give it 2 out of 10. The filiming feels quite amateurish. Even the acting. I find it a little fake. Doesn’t give me the same feeling as the seasoned actors/acteresses.
Home
Fetched Tang Seng home. To make my day complete, I had to wait at the railway crossing. The car in front of me managed to cross before the crossing lights turned red. That means I’m the suay first car.
7-ball sudden death rules
Zilch on the internet.
Woke up at 7:50 am. Shared table with Nam Choon, Lum & Quincy. Didn’t talk to them as I was engrossed in my Straits Times. Spain, Switzerland & Czech Republic made it to the World Cup. Enjoyed the scrambled eggs. Later on, Garry and Jeffrey came to sit down. Garry said that his rented room at Cheras is haunted. The bathroom lights seem to come on by itself and there’s long hair when he sweeps the floor. Also, the landlord (a couple) rather stay in the small room (that means sharing bathroom with another tenant (girl) and rented him the Master Bedroom bedroom instead.
Review of IT Missions, Vision & Strategy Map
Everyone agreed to retain the IT Mission Statement. It says ‘We deliver excellent IT Service!’. We reviewed the Strategy Map. Lots of boxes and words. A lot of high-level stuff. ‘Types of Engagement’ = Different ways of earning revenue from customers (Targetting new customers, catering to different stages of a customer’s lifestyle, New Products, New Markets)
Tea Break
Went back to pack up and clear my room. By the time I went back, the noodles are gone.
1st group’s presentation
Nam Choon and Quincy presented on knowledge management. Used a Golf Caddy’s knowledge as an analogy. There was a case study on BAE Systems. They actually had a search function, searching through Intranet websites, shared drives and other resources. I think this approach will work. Just like Google, we’ll have a one-stop place to search for documents within the company. The shared drive search is a plus because in reality, a lot of documents reside in shared drives even though we have StaffNet and Lotus Notes. The recommendation is for GELS to adopt/pilot GELM KM Model/Processes. Things like Community of Practice (CoP), simple repository for documents, reward schemes & targetting small groups were mentioned. No questions asked. Short & sweet. Until Francis asked about looking into transfer from knowledge to actual monetary benefits. And it triggered off a slew of questions and discussions among the mostly Competency Heads and PDs that lasted for another 30 minutes.
Penang Buffet Lunch @ Hotel Coffee House
The best meal of the whole RIT. Worst meal should be the one at KBox Cineleisure. My favourite is the Winter Melon Soup. HR is also having an orientation for new staff. Fridays are ‘dress down’ days at GELM. GELM also has a gym within the office. There’s also a sports culture there. With a chart to track the fitness of some of them. No wonder we get thrashed at inter-office games. We lost every game with the exception of Netball.
Our group’s presentation
Garry did a very good presentation delivery. Clear & articulate. Even though the topic is boring. As expected, it digressed into a discussion between the VPs. It’s good that we had an inconclusive conclusion as there’s too many different schools of thought in the industry regarding IT Expense Ratios.
Final speech
Boon Siong went through the previous action items and the new action items. Boon Kong, Koh Wee and Pooi Hor gave their closing speeches and the whole thing ended at around 2:45 pm. Jeffrey had to return to office coz he needed to attend to something regarding E-Travel. I then took 970 home.
System down
When I reached home, Stephen called me to say that Geni is showing blank records! Murhpy’s Law at work. My prediction is right again. Back on Monday, I predicted that since Tang Seng & I won’t be in office this week, Something will happen. I thought I will eat my words until Stephen called. It’s funny since nobody touched the server and Geni was working. At 2 pm. I repackaged an .ear file and sent it to Stephen.
Country Code ‘49’
Belongs to Germany! Damned. So we called Germany after all. So Som knows German eh? The area code of ‘5’ (we dialled ‘021495495…’ means that we called somewhere in the northern-central part of Germany. I purposely called the number again. The same lady answered.
Lady :
Me : Do you speak English?
Lady : Nicht… (Checked the web. This means either can’t or no.)
Me : Where are you?
Lady :
Me : Sorrie, I dialled the wrong number. Bye Bye.
Dinner
Mummy came back early too. Had dinner of Fried Bee Hoon + Minced Meat with Egg.
Charger
Went down to King’s Hotel to retrieve my charger. I left it in the hotel room. Together with the soap and toothpaste. I was only interested in the charger as I don’t think I’ll get the soap and toothpaste back.
Office
Went Chin Swee Road to wait for 7 pm to come so that I need not pay ERP. Tang Seng was also back in office. I realised that the geni problem resulted from the wrong db.xml file. Damned it came from my laptop too. So it explains why the .ear file that I sent Stephen didn’t work. I’m still puzzled why the Geni instance one 1 of the StaffNet servers didn’t work in the first place before Stephen called me.
Stephen’s house
We drove to Tiong Bahru so that Stephen can packet dinner for his wife and himself. Asked him to packet Carrot Cake for me. On the way, I showed them 63B. Stephen talked about the week. Tang Seng said that his course is useful. Which is good since I would be attending the same course. Avoided the lots next to Stephen’s block as Stephen gave some warning about bird shit. Ate the Carrot Cake at Stephen’s place. Tang Seng also went up. It’s his first visit to Stephen’s house and the first time he saw Rachel. There was this 9pm show on TCS 8. This is about some dancers. I would give it 2 out of 10. The filiming feels quite amateurish. Even the acting. I find it a little fake. Doesn’t give me the same feeling as the seasoned actors/acteresses.
Home
Fetched Tang Seng home. To make my day complete, I had to wait at the railway crossing. The car in front of me managed to cross before the crossing lights turned red. That means I’m the suay first car.
7-ball sudden death rules
Zilch on the internet.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home