[2005 11 17] - [Thu]
Waking up
Waking up was no problem for me. Woke up at 7am before lazing around in bed for an hour. Went 1st floor for breakfast. Saw Quincy in the lift when I went down. Buffet was surprisingly good. I liked the scrambled eggs and corn beef the most. There was also Miso Soup.
Everitt Road
The funny guy is charged and convicted in court again. I don’t think this will be the last time.
TNS 3-yr Regional Plan
Wasn’t playing much attention to this though.
BA 3-yr Regional Plan
Lih Yen talked about lots of high level stuff which I don’t really make out. I could make out that his focus is on Product Launches for regional model. Dennis Liu from Chongqing brought up a valid point that we should be focusing on the lowest common denominator instead so that we can have ‘quick wins’ when we set up regional centres. The discussion ended up being conducted in Mandarin.
AD 3-yr Regional Plan
Doris shared the Regional Plan. It digressed to become a discussion on outsourcing vs non-outsourcing. After that, there was an interesting discussion on the word ‘discipline’. Compliance is from outside in but discipline is from within. Yow Huat presented the AD Regional Model. There would be a Regional Apps Head with the Local Apps Head, Regional Competency Heads reporting to him/her.
Singtel outsourcing
Boon Kong mentioned that Singtel actually outsources their IT to NCS and they agreed to let us talk to NCS on it.
PM 3-yr Regional Plan
KT presented. Not really paying much attention to it. Lots of big words like Standardisation and Institutionalisation. It got interesting when KT talked about ‘key man issues’.
Lunch
Had Fish & Chips for lunch. Sat with David, Lum, Nam Choon, Boon Choon, Eng Sai and Kem. Boon Choon is still having a bad hangover from last night. Maybe if he had gone to Zouk with us, he wouldn’t feel so lousy today. I think that the dancing in Zouk allowed my blood to circulate and get rid of all the alcohol.
TNS 3-yr Regional Plan
Only the word ‘Smartsourcing’ got in.
Regional Programme/Project Structure
Boon Siong presented a few points and sought the agreement for them.
Moving forward
A taskforce has been formed that include the 8 PDs and the 2 CIOs to debate and agree on the Regional IT Structure by year’s end. There were some suggestions to have the meeting within these 2 days. KW said that those who are not PDs might not want to waste their time sitting through a discussion by the PDs.
Tea break
Had Chicken Pie for tea break.
QA Regional Plan
Brain on power saving mode. The words ‘regression testing’ are always in YC’s (not me) slides.
IT Security Regional Plan
OWAP = The Open Web Application Security Project. ‘Chicken Wing’ mentioned ‘Great is Life’ portal instead of ‘Life is Great’. Hahahahaha. That’s all that I recall from this presentation.
Presentation Briefing
We went Jeffrey’s room to talk about tomorrow’s presentation. Did one round of briefing to Eng Sai from GELM. Garry came over after his HR briefing. Before Garry came, we drew lots to decide the presenter. Garry got the shit.
7-Ball
Saw this billiard game on TV intermittently over the few days here. It seems like 9-ball but sometimes, when a player fails to port, a ball-in-hand is given to his opponent. I must look it up on google when I have internet access.
Grand Shanghai
Had dinner here. The restaurant setting is really Grand with a capital ‘G’. The setting looks like a hotel lobby. There’s a female singer dressed in cheongsam singing oldies. Her voice and looks were quite top notch. At least after make-up. Food was excellent. Each person is served a portion. So there are no dishes on the centre. I skipped the Prawns & Pig’s Trotters, but ate a lot of Xiao Long Bao. Bob’s table dedicated a birthday song to him. But I’m not sure if it is REALLY his birthday. There was also table of old men in a private room. One of them (probably the one paying) had a young, heavily-made up lady with him. She looked like she came from the Tiananmen Night Club across the road.
Drinking with Jeffrey
Brought my ’42 Below’ over to his room to drink. Talked a lot. I did most of the listening as Jeffrey revealed a lot about himself. Probably with the help of Johnny Walker. We talked until 2+ am before I went back to my hotel room to sleep.
Waking up was no problem for me. Woke up at 7am before lazing around in bed for an hour. Went 1st floor for breakfast. Saw Quincy in the lift when I went down. Buffet was surprisingly good. I liked the scrambled eggs and corn beef the most. There was also Miso Soup.
Everitt Road
The funny guy is charged and convicted in court again. I don’t think this will be the last time.
TNS 3-yr Regional Plan
Wasn’t playing much attention to this though.
BA 3-yr Regional Plan
Lih Yen talked about lots of high level stuff which I don’t really make out. I could make out that his focus is on Product Launches for regional model. Dennis Liu from Chongqing brought up a valid point that we should be focusing on the lowest common denominator instead so that we can have ‘quick wins’ when we set up regional centres. The discussion ended up being conducted in Mandarin.
AD 3-yr Regional Plan
Doris shared the Regional Plan. It digressed to become a discussion on outsourcing vs non-outsourcing. After that, there was an interesting discussion on the word ‘discipline’. Compliance is from outside in but discipline is from within. Yow Huat presented the AD Regional Model. There would be a Regional Apps Head with the Local Apps Head, Regional Competency Heads reporting to him/her.
Singtel outsourcing
Boon Kong mentioned that Singtel actually outsources their IT to NCS and they agreed to let us talk to NCS on it.
PM 3-yr Regional Plan
KT presented. Not really paying much attention to it. Lots of big words like Standardisation and Institutionalisation. It got interesting when KT talked about ‘key man issues’.
Lunch
Had Fish & Chips for lunch. Sat with David, Lum, Nam Choon, Boon Choon, Eng Sai and Kem. Boon Choon is still having a bad hangover from last night. Maybe if he had gone to Zouk with us, he wouldn’t feel so lousy today. I think that the dancing in Zouk allowed my blood to circulate and get rid of all the alcohol.
TNS 3-yr Regional Plan
Only the word ‘Smartsourcing’ got in.
Regional Programme/Project Structure
Boon Siong presented a few points and sought the agreement for them.
Moving forward
A taskforce has been formed that include the 8 PDs and the 2 CIOs to debate and agree on the Regional IT Structure by year’s end. There were some suggestions to have the meeting within these 2 days. KW said that those who are not PDs might not want to waste their time sitting through a discussion by the PDs.
Tea break
Had Chicken Pie for tea break.
QA Regional Plan
Brain on power saving mode. The words ‘regression testing’ are always in YC’s (not me) slides.
IT Security Regional Plan
OWAP = The Open Web Application Security Project. ‘Chicken Wing’ mentioned ‘Great is Life’ portal instead of ‘Life is Great’. Hahahahaha. That’s all that I recall from this presentation.
Presentation Briefing
We went Jeffrey’s room to talk about tomorrow’s presentation. Did one round of briefing to Eng Sai from GELM. Garry came over after his HR briefing. Before Garry came, we drew lots to decide the presenter. Garry got the shit.
7-Ball
Saw this billiard game on TV intermittently over the few days here. It seems like 9-ball but sometimes, when a player fails to port, a ball-in-hand is given to his opponent. I must look it up on google when I have internet access.
Grand Shanghai
Had dinner here. The restaurant setting is really Grand with a capital ‘G’. The setting looks like a hotel lobby. There’s a female singer dressed in cheongsam singing oldies. Her voice and looks were quite top notch. At least after make-up. Food was excellent. Each person is served a portion. So there are no dishes on the centre. I skipped the Prawns & Pig’s Trotters, but ate a lot of Xiao Long Bao. Bob’s table dedicated a birthday song to him. But I’m not sure if it is REALLY his birthday. There was also table of old men in a private room. One of them (probably the one paying) had a young, heavily-made up lady with him. She looked like she came from the Tiananmen Night Club across the road.
Drinking with Jeffrey
Brought my ’42 Below’ over to his room to drink. Talked a lot. I did most of the listening as Jeffrey revealed a lot about himself. Probably with the help of Johnny Walker. We talked until 2+ am before I went back to my hotel room to sleep.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home