Wednesday, May 17, 2006

20060517 - Wed

[Breakfast]
Woke up @ 7 am. Took a walk around the area near my hotel. Lots of kids going to school. But I noticed that none of those going to work are wearing ties. Took a few photos. Went back hotel room to bathe. Had breakfast in the hotel. RMB100. We charged to the room. Freddy was there too. It's my first time talking to him. He fitted Pheck Yong's description of him as a direct person. We walked to GELC after breakfast.
[Morning]
GELC is on 50th floor. Freddy brought us around the office and introduced the different departments to us. We had an initial meeting. All of them are young. All of them are guys. Peng Yong, the technical lead actually got them to clap as a form of welcome. Initially, I wanted to share with them how to configure OC4J from the command line. But they are already practising that. They have OC4J standalone installed on their own systems. They have only 1 Enterprise Version and it's on Windows. Uat Server is in Shanghai. I think they know a lot more than some of us in GELS. Development tool is Eclipse and it's linked to the source control, which is CVS. Went to discuss on the StaffNet with Rong Rong. Rong Rong emailed a copy of GELC phone directory to Stephen & me. I keyed in a message for Stephen using the same email. Asked Rong Rong to email some html source codes too. Previously, I thought it was impossible to prevent cutting and copying in an html page. But Rong Rong has proven me wrong. Really learnt a lot from this trip. He called himself Sandy coz Andy Lau used that Name before.
[Lunch]
The 4 IT staff from Singapore went to 颐之时大酒楼 near the office for lunch with Peng Yong & Rong Rong. Ordered 9 dishes. It was all Sichuan dishes. Very spicey but very nice. My favourite dish was 干锅茶树菇. Peng Yong told us that there's a company event tomorrow night and he will be singing. It is similar to the COM-1 in GELS. The price is RMB251. Doris paid. Took a walk around 解放碑. Asked a female passer-by to take a pic for us.
[Afternoon]
Went back to office. Told Cai Wei about my decision to scrap my training/presentation. Wanted to copy the RSA Template from Sg using Yong Kiat's PC. Yong Kiat will be playing the guitar for the event tomorrow. But the connection wasn't good. Went meeting room. Doris gave them an overview of AD Competency. Only saw Christina's missed call during the meeting. She wanted to ask if we can join Tiam Chye, Pat & her for lunch. We had a 15-minute break @ 3:15 pm. Cai Wei gave them an SDLC case study. Tried to look for a wireless network. But we couldn't find it. He shared on Atomic, Consistent, Integrated, Durable (ACID) as requirements on Transactions. Some of the China IT Colleagues prefer Weblogic. There were some limitations mentioned like the implementation of clustering of Application Servers.
[Dinner]
Went to eat Sichuan food near 解放碑 with Rong Rong & Peng Yong after work. Cai Wei, Swee Heang & Doris went to eat on their own. The waitress there is quite witty & pretty. She started a conversation with me after I took her photo. Gave me a name card and asked for mine. I wrote my name and phone number on her name card. Her name card job title said 'Zhu Ren'. Went toilet and saw an interesting graffiti. Food is more expensive this time round. It cost RMB222. Peng Yong paid and refused to take my money even though I said that I can claim. Accidentally dropped my hotel room key @ the restaurant. We had to go back and take it.
[Night]
We then took a cab to 鹅岭公园. 鹅岭公园 is the highest point in Yu Zhong Distrct. Need to pay RMB 5 to get up the tower. Rong Rong need not pay because he's still holding his military IC. I found out that he is a 中校. 中校 should be the equivalent of a Lieutenant-Colonel. Took a lot of pictures @ the tower. Rong Rong & I then took cab back to my hotel area. He home is just a 5-minute walk from the hotel. Peng Yong went back to his home in Jiang Bei District. Rested a while @ the hotel. I took a walk near the hotel. Weather tonight is warmer than last night. Went inside Falling disco. It's the same kind as Soho. Lots of tables. Loud music. Decided to go back to hotel for a drink. Went to the 39th floor lounge @ the hotel. It's closed. The lobby (大堂) lounge wasn't appealing too. So I called it a night, bathed and slept @ 12:30 am.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home