Monday, September 12, 2005

[2005 09 12] - [Mon]

[0945] - Speed 13
Woke up at 6:45 am. Trying to ‘pamper’ my body again. There were 2 pieces of mooncake waiting for me when I went downstairs. Had just the 2 mooncakes for breakfast before leaving home. I left home at 7:30 am even though I went for long call. Used $1.10 in coins for my Bus 970 trip and got a $1.30 ticket. Waited 10 minutes for it. 174 seem to be less frequent nowadays.
Arrived at Fitness First. Wanted to go to the chin-up machine again. This time, the weights are again in an awkward position. I decided not to procastinate and went to the weights machine. Those that you pull weights as if you are doing chin up. I did 5 with 65 kg before doing losing my strength and did another 5 with 55 kg. I’ll try 10 counts of 60 kg if my arms do not ache. I ran at Speed 13 for 2.4 km. Today’s session feels much worse than last Thursday. I felt like I was going to die. But I made it after all. I rested for almost 20 minutes before doing anything else. While resting, I saw that the cleaners have ‘righted’ the chin-up bar. So it has not broken down after all.
[1100] - Rehearsal for Lunch Talk
First thing in my mind when I arrived in office was the lunch talk. I contacted Deleon. Dharmesh, Deleon & I then drew lots to determine which 2 of us will be presenting at the lunch talk later in the day. Deleon got the 12:30 pm slot while I got the 11:30 am slot. We proceeded to 12E for some rehearsal. Deleon is still feeling the effects of his MC from last Friday. I got some inkling that he won’t present it later after all. I did a round of rehearsal as well. They remarked how confident I was presenting. I felt that I was just reading from the slides.
[1415] - Lunch Talk
Ran into Angeline while going back to my desk after the rehearsal. She’s going to CFE to set up the place for the lunch talk. Dharmesh & I decided to follow her. I brought my laptop along.
At the CFE, Joanne & David were already getting ready to set up the food. Doris would be the MC today. Even Yeow Khoon came to watch and support. The event started with Jimmy sharing with us the results of the Staff Survey. The results were much better than last year’s. Later on, the PDs and Competency Heads shared about their own programmes and competency. I was more concerned about my presentation. When Doris finished sharing her In-House Training portion as a competency head, Stephen’s slide popped up in an obvious way. Every one else had a blue background except for our beautiful white background. But with Stephen doing it, we had the best design. KT went up to say a few words before I stepped up. I started with the ‘For those who know me……’ ice breaker to compose myself. The first few seconds were difficult, but after a while, it felt as if I was telling my friends something. At the end of the presentation, Jimmy and Indra said it was a good presentation. I felt very happy. Like a school kid being praised for the first time.
It’s my first time hearing Pearl Lee talk. She seems a more ‘Procedures’ & ‘Structures’ person. Which may not be entirely bad. I only do not agree with the over-emphasis on RSAs.
There would be an IT KTV night at K-Box Cineleisure on 23 Sept. 5 representatives in IT from each country of origin would choose another 5 from their country to take part in a Singapore Idol style competition. There would be stickers for people to vote for their favourite singer. The arrows fell on the following: Bee Lay - Singapore, Junxu - China, Anupam - India, Sheila Bravo - Phillipines, Lim Tian Yee - Malaysia. Somebody pointed out that Junxu is a Singapore Citizen already. Jimmy rescued the situation by saying that it is the ‘place of manufacture’ that counts. Seng Hin gave me away by telling Bee Lay that I can sing. If I sing, I will want Xinhui to sing with me.
It is Koh Wee’s birthday today. At the end of the 1st session, Angeline brought a cake in. At the same time, Aiker told me that Deleon asked him to present. Aiker is helpless as he’s not involved in the team-building follow up at all. I agreed to ask Dharmesh to present.
Lunch was Nasi Lemak. The rice was nice, the chilli was nice, the eggs were nice. The Otaks were a little red though. I gave them a miss after taking them on the first round. Dharmesh was visibly anxious as he suddenly had to do presentation. It is actually good for him to go through the presentation as it will build up valuable experience.
During the 2nd session, Dharmesh did quite okay. I told him to read from the slides if the anxiety builds up until he cannot paraphrase.
After the 2nd session, we went out for more food. Dharmesh said he got a bigger appetite now as he has finished his presentation. I even ate some of Koh Wee’s birthday cake. So did my laptop bag. Not my fault. I think somebody else did it.
[1840] - Afternoon
Siew Ling sent an email. It’s the time of the month again. Helped her to upload the Oyster Emails into BC_LIST. At the same time, I finally did an overhaul of the Zone Alarm settings. Some of the settings are absurd. ODBC is actually blocked although in the previous version of Zone Alarm, I set it to ‘Ask’ rather than ‘Block’.
Spent the rest of the afternoon converting the file repository function in eJSR to write to DB instead of the FileSystem. I spent 3 hours fighting with Java before succeeding it on StaffNet PoC. The structure of eJSR made the whole thing easier. I only needed to change 5 java files.
Called Ling. Decided to visit her today. There’s a heavy downpour. Contemplating going to Woodlands Domestic to buy Memory Stick and Telephone.
[2300] - Ling’s Home
There was a heavy downpour when I left office. Heavy Downpour with a capital ‘H’. The lightning and thunder made me feel as if I was in a war zone. I took 147 there and finally arrived at her place at 7:35 pm.
We watched quite a number of shows. The debating competition, the game show on Channel 8, The Chinese X Files and Incredible Tales. I watched Chinese X Files without knowing the title. I thought it was a normal robbers and cops show until the deaths that are being investigated looked very out of the world. For example, a body falling out of nowhere from the sky to land on somebody’s car. Hong Kong University beat Macau University in the debating competition Quarter-Finals. Incredible tales is about a little girl who suddenly became another person mentally at 10 years old. She even guided her new parents to see her previous mother and recounted the circumstances in which she died.
[0100] - Home
On the way home, there’s this guy behind me quarelling with a girl (my intuitive guess) over the phone. He said he believed the girl but he doesn’t like the guy with the girl. He even threatened to hurt/kill the guy if he said something wrong. I think he’s just calling a bluff. It is not easy to hurt/kill someone physically and mentally.
Ruth called me to ask for Graphic Calculator. Of course I didn’t have.
I got home in one piece. There were eggs and soup for me. I also ate quarter of an apple from the fridge. Turned on my laptop and helped Ling to pay her power bills using her Internet Banking Acccount.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home